Chicken Biryani Recipe

Chicken Biryani Recipe

Chicken Biryani is famous all over the Indian sub-continent and is also a popular dish in gulf countries. Biryani is prepared using special Basmati rice which is a long grain aromatic variety of rice. It could be prepared using vegetables as a vegetarian dish or could also be prepared using chicken or mutton as non-vegetarian dish. Today we will be preparing chicken biryani. 

Ingredients Required For Chicken Biryani Recipe

  • Basmati Rice : 1 kg
  • Chicken : 1 kg
  • Curd : 1 cup
  • Tomatoes : 3
  • Ginger Paste : 2 tablespoon
  • Garlic Paste : 2 tablespoon
  • Turmeric : 1 teaspoon
  • Green Chili : 5-7
  • Coriander Powder : 1 tablespoon
  • Red Chili : As per taste
  • Salt : As per taste
  • Lemon Juice : 1 tablespoon
  • Kewda Water : 1 tablespoon
  • Coriander Leaves : 2 tablespoons
  • Ghee : 4 tablespoons
  • Cooking Oil : 4 tablespoon
  • Kesar threads (for color) : 1-2 threads
  • Biryani Masala : 1 tablespoon 
  • Whole Garam Masala : 10 grams
  • Bay Leaves : 4-5
  • Javitri (mace) : 2-3
  • Cinnamon : 1 inch
  • Gloves : 10-15
  • Black Cumin Seeds : 1 teaspoon
  • Pepper : 15-20
  • Green Cardamom: 3-5
  • Black Cardamom : 3

Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Cooking Time : 60 minutes
Total Time : 75 minutes
Serves : 6 people

 ALSO READ  Plain Biryani Rice Recipe

How to prepare Chicken Biryani 

  1. For preparing chicken biryani we will rinse the rice properly at least 2-3 times with water. Then soak it in water for 30 minutes. While the rice is being soaked, we will wash the chicken properly for marination
  2. For marinating the chicken, we will take it in a bowl and add mustard oil, 2 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste, 1 tablespoon curd, 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon red chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt. Mix this well and leave it for 10 minutes. 
  3. Now put a pressure cooker on stove and heat it. Once it gets heated, pour oil and heat it too. After the oil is heated put all the whole garam masala ingredients like bay leaves, mace, cinnamon, pepper, cloves, green cardamom, black cardamom and fry it. 
  4. Add onions in it and fry it till it turns brown. Once done, add the marinated chicken in it, put the ginger garlic paste that is left, add crushed green chili, red chili, turmeric, coriander powder and salt to taste (be cautious on adding salt as it was also added during marination). Fry this for 4-5 minutes. 
  5. After this add tomato paste in it and fry it for 5-7 minutes, now our chicken is also more than half cooked and gravy has also dried up. After cooking it for 10 minutes we will switch the stove off
  6. Now we will take 2-3 litres water in a big container and put it on stove for boiling. When the water starts boiling add whole garam masala like one mace, half tea spoon black cumin seeds, 5 black pepper, 5 cloves, few pieces of cinnamon, 1 black cardamom, 2-3 green cardamom and also add one teaspoon ghee and half teaspoon salt. 
  7. Then put the rice in the boiling water and cook it till the rice is 80% cooked. Remaining 20% cooking will take place while we bake it with chicken. 
  8. Once the rice is 80% cooked, rinse it well using a sieve and then wash it with cold water. Leave the rice in the sieve so that all the water is removed. 
  9. Now we will take 2-3 chopped onions and fry it using oil in a pan till the onions become crispy and brown in color
  10. After this, we will start the process for baking the biryani. For this we will take a big container and spread ghee in its base. 
  11. First we will prepare a layer of fried onions in the container, then we will spread a layer of rice over it. 
  12. Over the layer of rice we will add a layer of chicken, along with it's gravy. Above it we will again sprinkle coriander leaves, ghee and then again put a layer of rice. 
  13. Again put a layer of fried onions, then coriander leaves and then a layer of chicken and gravy. We will repeat the process till the entire rice and chicken is consumed. 
  14. On the top we will spread remaining onions, coriander leaves and sprinkle kewda water evenly on it. 
  15. Now we will put the kesar threads in milk or water and sprinkle this water evenly on the rice. 
  16. Once done, we will cover the container with it's lid and seal the lid using wheat dough. 
  17. Then we will bake the biryani, for this we will place a griddle or Indian frying pan on stove that is on medium flame and then put the container containing biryani over it. We will leave it for 10  mins. 
  18. Switch the flame off after 10 mins, but do not open the container for another 10-15 minutes. After 10-15 minutes Chicken Biryani is ready to be served. 
Rate It:
Average:5/5 (1 Votes)